Sayur Lodeh - the Indonesian vegetable curry dish
Lodeh is a popular vegetable curry soup in Indonesia. "Sayur" literally means vegetables and "Lodeh" is the spicy sauce in which the vegetables cook. The soup is originally from Java and is traditionally prepared vegan. Lodeh is best served with an aromatic rice.
Is it spicy?
Chilies are optional. Therefore, it is possible to make the dish suitable for children.
- Jackfruit, Chayote and Eggplant cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Onions quarter.
- Garlic cloves crush with a knife.
- Chili you cut small.
- Now heat the Oil in a frying pan and fry Onions, Garlic and Chili in it until everything smells nice and spicy. The ingredients may roast quietly. Just make sure that they do not burn.
- Now give the Jackfruit to this.
- Extinguish everything with about 200ml Water off and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- Give half of the Bamboe Lodeh sauce into the pan and mix it with the Jackfruit.
- While it cooks something Water pour in a little at a time so that the flavor is not lost.
- Simmer for about 5-7 minutes.
- Now come the Chayote and the Eggplants into the pan.
- Here again Water water again and again.
- (Coconut milk Lovers can also Coconut milk instead of adding water).
- Let it simmer for another 5 minutes, stirring every now and then.
Attention: do not put a lid on it.
Should you Coconut milk use this should not be heated too much.
- Taste your sauce now and decide if it's spicy enough for you. If not, just stir some more Lodeh seasoning paste added.
- Finally give the Sweet peas added.
- Done! Enjoy the fruits of your labor 😉