Nasi Goreng with Sate Skewers - The National Dish in Indonesia
For Sate you need:
- 500g chicken breast
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 Kemiri nuts
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Satay sauce
- Coconut milk
- Wooden skewers
For Nasi Goreng you need:
- 2 bowls or 400g of already cooked rice (preferably from the day before, as the firm rice is more suitable).
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small chili (if you like it spicy)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon oil for frying
- approx. 100g broccoli
- 1 carrot
- 2 spring onions
- 1 bunch Thai cilantro
- 1 egg
- 1 packet Bamboe Nasi Goreng Paste or 3 tablespoons Koningsvogel Sambal Nasi Goreng
Nasi Goreng is an absolute classic and the national dish in Indonesia. It literally means "fried rice" and is traditionally prepared with the previous day's rice to make a hearty dish. As is so often the case, this dish was born out of necessity. In times of severe hunger, the rice was never thrown away, but always further processed into a full meal the following day.
Today, it is impossible to imagine everyday life in Indonesia without this popular dish. It is sold everywhere, whether as street food from portable food trucks on the street to high-end restaurants.
It is also becoming increasingly popular internationally, because it is quick to prepare and extremely delicious.
Let's start with Sate
- Cut the Chicken into bite-sized cubes.
- Mortar the Garlic, the Salt and the Kemiri nuts to a paste.
- Coat the meat with the garlic kemiri paste.
- Then put the marinated meat in a cool place for about 30 minutes.
- Now prepare the Sate sauce according to instructions (for this you need the Coconut milk).
- Divide the sauce in half.
- One half becomes the dip and with the other you coat the chicken skewers after the first roasting.
This is how the frying goes:
- Skewer the chicken meat on Wooden skewers on.
- Now heat 3 tablespoons oil in a frying pan and fry the skewers on medium heat on both sides until they are half cooked.
- Now take the skewers out of the heat and spread the second half of the sate sauce on the meat.
- Fry the skewers again on both sides until the meat is cooked.
- Mix the Rice with the Nasi Goreng spice paste. For this you can heat the rice in the microwave first, because the sauce spreads better that way.
- Cutting edge Garlic, onion and if you like also a small Chili small.
- Cutting edge Broccoli, carrot and spring onions into bite-sized pieces.
Now we come to the roast:
- Garlic and onions (and chili) in a pan with some Oil fry until they begin to smell.
- Now add the vegetables together with the Salt and steam it until it softens, but still remains nice and crunchy.
- Last but not least, add the spicy rice to the vegetables and stir everything nicely.
- Fry the Egg into a fried egg and serve it with your rice.
- Take some green from the Coriander. Ready and bon appétit!